Monday, May 10, 2010

Losing it....the weight I mean.


We started eating real whole foods last fall. But I hadn't been losing any weight. Dan asked me if it would be motivating for me to have a goal/reward/carrot. I said well, yeah! So we came up with the goal of losing 10 pounds and he would get me the Wii balance board and Wii Fit Plus. I accepted the challenge. It took me about two months and I am still losing. I LOVE playing on Wii fit, but that's not really how I'm losing weight. I promised my facebook friends I would share my secret so here's what I'm doing.


  • Eating whole foods as much as possible, avoiding processed foods, corn syrup and artificial sweeteners.
  • Replacing vegetable oils or shortenings with traditional fats and oils.

  • Drinking raw whole milk and eating full fat dairy, butter, cheese, etc.

  • Limiting breads and giving up processed cereal.

  • And my number one secret for making this all work.....COCONUT OIL!

Here's why I think the extra virgin coconut oil is the catalyst for my weight loss. It contains medium chain fatty acids that increase metabolism, keep me feeling satisfied longer, and reduce my sugar cravings. I cook my eggs in it for breakfast. I put it on my oatmeal, in my coffee or tea, or make a warm vanilla milk drink with it. I sometimes cook or bake with it when it fits the recipe. I use a couple of tablespoons a day, and when I hit a plateau with my weight, I make sure to work on incorporating it into my diet more. Find out more about coconut oil, good fats, and weight loss here.


So that's my secret. It's working well, I'm not hungry, I try to limit portions, but I still eat dessert sometimes! I'm trying to excercise too. I have lost 15 pounds so far and am hoping to lose more. I feel like the food I am eating is nourishing me, and my body is letting go of what I don't need now, that it's happier :)











1 comment:

Alive to Grow said...

I have been losing weight too.
No bread at breakfast...protein and veggies. Veggies or veggie juice for snacks, trying to drink 8 glasses of water a day. Only 1 fruit per day. I am doing this for 6 weeks. In another week I may be able to add some carbs. If I feel hungry it is recommended I drink warm water with lemon juice squeezed in. I did find that works. I feel full and have lost weight. I wanted to slim down before I have to buy the mother of the bride dress! Keep up the good work Kathryn.